Friday, May 25, 2012

Occam's Razor

    Occam's Razor: The law of Parsimony, of Economy, of Succinctness. To select from competing hypothesis  that which makes the fewest assumptions and thereby offers the simplest explanation. In other words, "If you hear hoofbeats, think Horses not Zebras."
    I don't think this is a difficult concept. As a matter of fact, it is a very simple concept. That is the whole premise; Simplify. But I find that people are all too willing to over think, let their imaginations run rampant, take a simple situation and over-complicate until it is an irrevocable tangled mess. As much as I pride myself in understanding psychology, of others and myself, I now realize that despite that knowledge I still don't understand people. I do not understand their actions and reactions to simple things. They over-complicate, read too much into simple statements, seem to be looking for a devious motive behind my honesty. In the world inside my head, usually A leads to B, which then leads to C. Straightforward, simplistic. But in the real world there is no such logic. It is a convoluted mess of emotions, misunderstandings, and hidden motives. Apparently, my honesty is the Zebra. My straightforward, honest approach is being constantly misunderstood, and suspect. Despite this, I cannot bring myself to step into the circle of game playing. I refuse to interpret aching silence and unanswered missives. I have been down that path before, and though my instincts and interpretations were dead-on, I still refuse to play. I am not a child, to sulk in the corner, arms crossed and scowling, waiting for someone to notice and ask me what is wrong. I chose to think that silence is merely silence. Words mean exactly what they say, no reading between the lines. A smile is a smile. It is simplistic, honest, truthful. It is who I am. As lonely as honesty has left me, it is still my chosen form of communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment