Friday, December 14, 2012

Helper

"When I was a boy, and would see scary things in the news, my Mother would say, "Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my Mother's words and I am comforted by realizing that there are still so many Helpers -- So Many caring people in the world."  Fred Rogers aka Mister Rogers

    The tragic events of today have reinforced my desire to become a firefighter. To become one of Mister Rogers' Helpers. This is not a fantasy of heroics, fame, excitement, recognition. It is my deep rooted desire to help. It is nothing new, it has always been an integral part of my nature. From childhood attempts to rescue baby birds that fell out of their nests and bringing home sickly strays, to adult endeavors to provide sanctuary for children, and attempts to rescue baby birds that fell out of their nests and bringing home sickly strays. Not much has changed in my lifelong attempts to protect the small, weak, injured. It is my nature. I have fostered animals, and taken in teenagers. Now, as I get older, and maybe a little wiser, I am able to see the world from a new perspective. When I had children at home my focus remained closer to home, as should be. Now that my children are grown and with families of their own, I can widen that focus, look beyond the needs of those nearest and dearest to me. I can finally realize a long held dream. It is unlikely that I will ever be faced with an event as grievous as what occurred today, and far more likely that I will be continuing in attempts to rescue baby birds that fall from their nests and bring home sickly strays. But as I roar against the pain and suffering, the tragedies and injustices of the world, I know that I must do more than make the noise. I must stand up and do what I am able. I cannot close my eyes or deafen my ears. I must Help.  

No comments:

Post a Comment