Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2013: The Year of Grand Adventures

    With Christmas now one for the books, mellow, casual, and loving, it is time when we all start thinking of the New Year that is mere days away. I am not one for Resolutions, haven't been for many years. Resolutions always seem more like promises to self, promises that are hard to keep and often broken. Instead, 12 years ago I made a vow to myself that every year, on my birthday, I would be healthier than I was the year before. I have kept faith with myself on this. Every year I improved physically, but there were more than a few years when my emotional and mental health were on the decline.
    As a fledgling Triathlete, I see the same approach to life as I do to training: Find your weakness and work on it the hardest, while just trying to keep the other disciplines steady. True, I have always worked on my physical fitness and made it a priority through most of my life, but I let it leap to the fore this last year. Once I was on line with the new physicality I knew I needed to bring everything else up to speed, to gain balance and health in all things. Now I feel well rounded, Body, Mind and Heart. I have readied myself for the Event of Life. The Epic Event of My Life. I feel poised at the starting line, waiting for the horn to sound, and then I will be off like a rocket.
    Looking ahead, I can't help but look back and review. I have decided to have no regrets from 2012. Yes, I made some hard choices, fought some major battles, spent time in the abyss, walked through fire and was cleansed by it, wept, laughed, loved. Wonderful, loving people have come into my life, including several beautiful, wee ones who will call me "Oma." I have discovered great new things about old friends, and discovered great new friends. I have pushed myself on so many levels, and feel that I have only just touched at the fringes of what I am capable of. I have begun new adventures that will test my mettle and fill my soul, and plan on even grander exploits ahead. I can't even fathom just how far I will go in 2013, it boggles my mind. The true beauty of it is that I have loved ones who encourage and support me in every endeavor. These days I am far more likely to shed tears of joyous disbelief at my great fortune in the people that love me, and that I love, than to shed tears of grief and lonliness. Truly, the more we love, the more we are loved, it grows until it is almost unbearably bright and delicious.
    2013 will be full of surprises, antics, adventures, exploits. 2012 was The Year of Win, and it did live up to that moniker, far beyond my wildest dreams. I think 2013 will be the Year of Grand Adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment