Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Best Thing

    Sometimes I feel as if I am the only person in the world happy and willing to accept things for what they are. I do not seek perfection. I appreciate what I have. As the song says, "It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got." I think I follow this adage quite well. For those who seek perfection, they will always find disappointment. Dissatisfaction. They will see the flaws and not the beauty. They will find the reason why it won't work, not see the ways in which it does. I have always been able to see the beauty hidden beneath the dents, rust, scratches. I actually see beauty in those same dents, rust and scratches. I chose to look ahead, see the potential, set goals, find ways. I do not look at the now, curse the roadblocks, cry over inequities, buckle under difficulties. I look to the future, seek routes around the roadblocks or bull my way over top of them, become stronger as I face and beat down the difficulties. I do not cast blame, aspersions, doubt. I stand tall and look to the horizon. Even from the depths of the abyss I managed to look ahead, see what needed to be done, fought through darkness, was burned by fire. Even then, I looked ahead. I still do, look ahead. I see potential in the now, as a seed holds the potential for life and growth. I know that with tender care the seed will burst forth, full of potential, fruitful. But I also look at now, and appreciate where I am, who I am with, what I have, who I am. I revel in today. I hold what I have in warm, careful hands, knowing the value, wanting what I have. Having what I hold. Yes, I do look to the future, strive to better myself, my world. But I see the glory in now. I do not need perfection. I do not expect everything to fall into easy little molds. My life is not about Easy, never has been, never will. My life is not about trying to find the perfect fit, the perfect life, the perfect relationship. Nothing is perfect. To hope for perfection is a recipe for failure. But, to strive towards tomorrow, to build upon what I have today, to desire that tomorrow I am a better person than I am today. That is a recipe for happiness, contentment, fulfillment. And I know it is the best thing I can do. The best thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment