Thursday, November 7, 2013

Me, Right Here, Right Now.

    Today was a series of events, small snapshots of happy, reminders of joy, tasty tidbits of life. Throughout my day I was reminded of how fortunate I am to be me, right here, right now. My day was a series of positive interactions with the people that surround me. From the everyday "good mornings," simple smiles from coworkers, jokes, teasing, light banter, to the crazy adorable little towhead shopping with her big, biker daddy as he let her make her own selections, paying with dollars from her little, black leather, studded purse. Her seriousness during the purchase, him gently coaxing, yet allowing her to be "in charge," was a tender reminder that there are sweet, kind people out there, everywhere, in all shapes and sizes. It was a dark, gloomy, typically rainy fall day here in the glorious Willamette Valley, rain pounding on the metal roof, and sheeting down the windows. At one point, my my coworker comes bursting out of her office into my workspace, points at the small, high window behind me and yells, "Look! The Sun! Oh my god!" Then scampers back to her office giggling. I turned, the sun was beaming, and I had to laugh. Such interactions are invaluable in times such these, times when the whole world seems rife with chaos, and teetering on the brink of a global abyss. For years, I have been saying, "In times like these we need to be kind to each other." But for so long I was in an environment where it seemed I was the only one who made the effort. Now my life abounds with people who believe in the power of kindness, the power of laughter, the power of love.
    To be me, right here, right now, living in the moment, feels as if I have "arrived." Arrived at a life that I have known should be mine, could be mine, would be mine. A life I have been working steadily towards for what sometimes feels like an eternity. I am not saying my life is perfect. There are certainly days when my demons come out to play. There are days when I have fears and doubts, but they are few, and not very powerful these days. Sure, I could be making more money, but I make enough. Sure, my life could be a bit tidier, but it is tidy enough. During the week I work with people who make me laugh. Drill night I am surrounded by the tightknit brotherhood that has welcomed me with open arms, who make me laugh. My family is happy, healthy, loving, and they make me laugh. Weekends are spent in a dreamy haze with the one I love, who makes me laugh. My life is full of love and laughter, what more could anyone want? Honestly. I am so fortunate to be me, right here, right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment